Monday 11 April 2011

Fine weather, growing veg & allotmenteering

I hate to do it, but to quote The Sun – phew, what a scorcher! The weather this week has been fabulous - if you like warm, sunny days out of keeping in April that is. I guess we'll have to pay for it later on in the year - snow in June?
It has meant I've spent a lot of time away from my computer over the last few days and spent it in the garden & on the allotment - topping up the tan. Which also means I've caught up and got ahead of jobs.
I've sown my tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, courgettes and squashes. I've also sown lots of salad and brassica seeds in modules to transplant out later. I find this far better than sowing seed direct into the ground - especially for plants on the allotment, as it gives them a better start in life so they make stronger plants.
I'm also growing lots of grafted plants this year, as I had such great results last year - especially with the aubergines as they were my best ever.
The allotment is looking very pristine - thoroughly weeded and the grass paths mown. Yesterday, I planted the early potatoes - 'Charlotte' is the one I always choose. And I've been picking and eating asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and leeks like they're about to become extinct.

In my 'spare' time(!) I've been creating a vegetable growing course for MyGardenSchool.com  If you're interested and want to sign up to learn how to grow veg to perfection then visit the MyGardenSchool website.

2 comments:

  1. Quite right Geoff, it's not been a bad start to the year in some respects. I have to admit a bit of surprise, however, at the amount of trees yet to bloom, and us well into May now. I'm up Scotland way, so possibly a bit chillier than you, but have you many trees still with their Winter look? I'm hoping they'll get growing soon... not a good sign for my garden otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan
    No, everything down here is in full leaf - unless it's dead! Although I'm expecting 'autumn' to come early with the lack of rain, and trees having to turn early to save water!
    Ho hum.
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete