Sunday 13 January 2008

Gardening in a changing climate

In my last blog I made comment about climate change and the possibility of whether or not we would have to consider gardening in a changing climate. I guess the whole climate change issue is one that raises all sorts of questions - and all sorts of responses. Is it happening or is it just 'one of those weather cycles'?, is it man-made?, is it going to cause real problems? - and, who cares anyway I'll be dead before it happens!
Personally, I'm sitting firmly on the fence. I've got no idea if it's for real and if it's going to affect me and my gardening. And, I doubt if there's anyone else out there that can give me all the answers and reassure me.
The UK floods of 2007 gave everyone reason to doubt global warming as we're supposed to be getting hot, dry summers. But maybe the weather patterns are just shot to pieces and global warming will just produce irregular weather patterns. Anyway, according to NASA recent sunspot activity suggests we're due a new ice age in a few years' time! Ho hum!!
If you do think that gardening is going to be affected by changing climate and you want to know more or simply want to get something off your chest, the Royal Horticultural Society has set up a gardening in a changing climate microsite. To find out more go to www.rhs.org.uk/climate
Anyhoo, whatever the weather - enjoy your gardening!

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Whether its an ice age of global warming that we are heading for, its obvious that our climate is changing and as a result our plants are becoming rather confused.
    My camelias have been flowring on anf off since September and my lawn never stops growing now.
    I am keen to eoncourage more gardeners to take steps to deal with climate change in thir garden so have set up a website at www.globalgardening.org.
    Its a work in progress but hopefully will develop into a nationwide/global concept that gardeners everywhere will tap into.
    Let me know your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie
    Thanks for your comments. Some of the plants listed in my plants in flower on Jan 1 blog, shouldn't have been in flower. The Viburnum has been flowering since September!
    I've just had a look at the globalgardening website and it contains some great information on the whole changing climate/gardening issue. Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

    ReplyDelete