Monday 17 January 2011

Are there any gardeners out there?

Q: What happens when you do a radio gardening phone-in programme on the first nice, dry day of the year?
A: No-one phones in because they're all in the garden!
Well, good for lucky old them.
Sunday's programme on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire was a bit flat since, we only had eight questions in the whole hour. Admittedly, the programme has been moved around a bit recently until it has settled at its current, final slot, due to changes in the station's schedules. Maybe it was because I talked Welsh to the weather presenter? Or maybe it was because everyone was gardening or visiting the local garden centre - for a cup of tea or to buy garden equipment?
Never mind, at least presenter Chris South and guests Philippa Pearson & I can talk for Britain, so we just rabbited on about 'stuff'.
The 'hot' questions (if you can have hot questions in these circumstances) were roses. One caller had had what he thought and had been told was fire blight on a new pyracantha hedge and wanted to replace it with a rose hedge. The other had bought a load from the pound shop and they were in full growth - not surprisingly as I'm sure pound shops are nice and hot and not used to looking after live plants - and wanted to know what to do with them.
Is fire blight still as prevalent as it used to be? Anyone seen it/had it recently? Answers on a postcard please...

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Geoff. It's tricky when calls are few, but you can't really blame gardeners for being outside on such a beautiful day, can you?

    You need a few pretend questions on imaginary emails, or 'calls we receive earlier.'

    I didn't realise you spoke Welsh! What other hidden talents have you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nige
    I know, I wasn't really having a go/moan - honest. And we would never, ever cheat!!!
    Other hidden talents? I've played sport for my country. Really? Yes really. I played Subbuteo football for Wales back in the 70s - schoolboy star! I played against England and drew 1-1.
    I can also drink like a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Geoff, never cheat... But you can do "lot's of people have been asking me about..." questions. Or "this week in Garden News Nigel Colborn says... But I don't agree!".

    ReplyDelete