Saturday 29 January 2011

Raised bed a go-go

OK, not as much progress as I'd hoped, but I have finished filling the second bed and moved the soil where the third one is meant to go. Sadly, I haven't treated the wood for the last two beds, yet - so onwards & upwards - that's a job for today. In fact, now, as soon as I finish scribbling this down.

Just finished my RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch. And the results are in...
Blackbird 7, collared dove 3, greenfinch 2, robin 4, blue tit 4, dunnock 3, house sparrow 5, song thrush 2, carrion crow 1, feral pigeon 2, starling 5, chaffinch 1, great tit 3, woodpigeon 1, magpie 2. If I remember rightly the numbers are about the same as last year, but I'm missing goldfinch and long-tailed tits from the previous survey. I have had a couple of visits from a sparrowhawk, so maybe this has dealt with the tits - not sure it would go for goldfinches. I have seen a couple of piles of feathers...!

After 10 years in this house and garden, I've never had any 'mammal issues' in the garden - and I've always boasted about it when people ask me how to deal with squirrels, rabbits, foxes, deer and moles. Well, my boasting has just come back to bite me on the bum - a fox and a squirrel have moved in over the last couple of days. Time to put my own pest control suggestions into practice in my own garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment