Sunday 23 January 2011

The rise of raised beds

Well finally, me and my big mouth. In my blog on November 27 about putting up raised beds I stupidly said we'd have a bad winter - and so we did. All of which meant that I've not been able to get any further with the raised beds - that is, until today.
I bit the bullet and managed to put down the first 1.8m bed, fill it with soil, move the soil where the first 2.4m bed was meant to go, build it, install it and start to fill it. Sadly, rain, bad light and a knackered back have stopped play. So, not quite half way there.
Not to worry, it's still too cold to sow directly outside - a minimum soil temperature of 7C is needed for most seeds to germinate and it's nowhere near that yet.
Hopefully this week I can get away from the computer, sneak outside and start treating the wood for the last two beds with wood preservative. Knowing my luck it'll pour down all week. Aha, will I never learn? Bearing in mind my winter comment I shouldn't have said that.
Also, on my website, I've put up a load of information about square foot or block layout veg growing, which you may find useful interesting. There's a load of info about yields, spacing and how many plants of each veg to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment